Friday, March 18, 2005

March 18th

A long time ago and far away. Actually, the 1950’s in Newark, NJ, I was a student at Weequahic High School. Having a premonition that typing would be a useful skill, I signed up for they typing class in high school. My attendance, however was brief. Miss Cook ,the instructor, felt my , male prescience would distract “her girls” and I was banned from learning how to type in Weequahic High School. All this is to explain I suck at typing. And I’m sitting here hunting and pecking with one hand. Hopefully it doesn’t come out too badly
The subject today is who owns what? A small number of people are responsible for most innovation in magic and mentalism. A lot more benefit from their creativity. But how much need I change an effect or method, before it becomes mine. Does forcing the seven of spades, comprise a different effect than the nine of hearts.
In this country, Frank Garcia was given credit for inventing wild card. Yet historians tell me it was Peter Kane. And I’m guessing during the height of it’s popularity, I’m guess most shops made up their own. I know Mecca Magic did. Was Hyram the Haunted Hank a rip of Glorpy? How many others were there? About 20 years ago Collector’s Workshop came out with Perfect Time. A few years later, Bazar di Magia, came out with Watch and Wear. Same basic effect but different method and less than half price. Few more years, Magic Makers releases Time Machine, IMO a knock off of Watch and Wear. But cheaper still. Who deserves your money and protection?A recent thread on the Genii forum, says the Linking Ring is refusing ads from knock offs. Admirable, but what’s a knock off? Richard Kaufman has said previously, that magicians shouldn’t expect magic magazines to be police. Their profit margin won’t allow it. Guess publishing isn’t a labor of love.
I have been accused of seeing things in black and white. In some areas that’s true. There are certain things that are just wrong. Theft of intellectual property is just as wrong as theft of real property. I’m told, that the late Ken Brooke was broken hearted at the many who ripped him off. They say it contributed to his death. I’m told he was very fair with both his creators and customers. I remember asking Irv Tannen, why he ripped off Ken’s material. His answer. “My customers want his stuff and he doesn’t wholesale. I have no choice!
Just today, a magician friend (yes I have some) said every body, including big names, photocopy stuff and trade. Is he right? Isn’t it sad?
My kid brother, who’s home recuperating. Is fond of saying. There are three kinds of people. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen and people who say “What Happened?” Be one of those who make things happen. Stand up for right!
Kross

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home